When we were planning Snapdragon, we wanted to have some kind of zinemaking challenge. After throwing ideas about for a while we came up with the idea of the pinata. At first it seemed like a frivolous idea, but then it turned into a really good idea, and we realised that we could get people to make little zines to go inside it. We put out the call and zinemakers responded!
On the background of my (Vanessa’s) unappealing living room carpet I present to you the fifteen miniature marvels that were inside the zinata. Starting from the top left corner and moving from left to right along the rows:
1. Rhetorical Thoughts #3 “a mini mini zine” by Chiara (of Rhetorical zine, which you can find in the Take Care catalogue).
2. Kindy Quotes “Stories like these are shared in staffrooms daily” by Melanie, teacher’s aide.
3. Instructions for Paint by Lynn Cook.
4. New Look a the Touch of Button (anonymous)
5. You Can Live in your Zine Shop by Elouise of Smells Like Zines distro.
6. Hello by Clare from The Bower.
7. Shit, a zine of things that shit me, by Staples.
8. Biblioburbia, by Vanessa, taken in part from the Biblioburbia blog.
9. i can still dream of things that have never been but someday will be by Emma D.
10. Too Lazy to Become Australian by Milly Rockparty.
11. A Zinata Special by Hannah Dostine. All these were different, each handwritten!
12. Postcards from the Dreamtime, drawings from November 2008 to October 2009 by Nicholas Beckett
13. Please Remit (anonymous)
14. Instructions for Everyday Performance by Anna Dunnill.
15. Does Your Sweetener Leave a Nasty Taste in Your Mouth by Cherish Marrington and Matthew Moore.
Thank you to all these fabulous zinemakers, and congratulations to all the lucky people who picked up some of these zines from the confetti on Sunday. I’ve tried to put in website/contact details where I could but if you’re one of these people who doesn’t have a link, please let us know your website details in the comments.
Read Full Post »